Label Text: Finished in a striking iridescent glaze, this blue and sea foam vase is a strong example of the type of work that has made the Pewabic Pottery studio world-renowned for over a century. The luminous colors seem to change with the light and angle of the viewer. To achieve this effect the piece is covered with a fritted (powder of fused glass) glaze and then glazed once more with one containing copper.
Artist Mary Chase Perry and Horace J. Caulkins established the Pewabic Pottery studio and school in Detroit the early 1900s. It has been in operation in the same East Jefferson Avenue location since 1907. Years of extensive experimentation with timing, temperature fluctuation, and copper glazes resulted in Pewabic Pottery becoming a hallmark of the Arts and Crafts movement. Pottery and ceramic tiles from the studio can be found in collections and buildings across Michigan and the United States including the Detroit Institute of Arts, the Freer Art Gallery, Washington D.C., the Cranbrook Art Museum and many more.